Monday 9 December 2013

December 9, 2013

So I am starting with my person reviews of recipes and books I read.  
I was fortunate this weekend to get a chance to meet an author local to my area.  I bought her books and look forward to reading them and reviewing them but I find it is important to review the books I currently and reading first.

I am currently reading a series of books by Lora Leigh 

This series makes it know upon starting to read them that they are classified erotica.....while the series starts out that ways it also has an intriguing underlying storyline that is easily believable.  If the sex scenes weren't so vividly detailed it would even be a series young adults would enjoy.  I don't mind the sex scenes but will admit there are parts that do not turn me on at all.  Use of certain words explicitly isn't favoured and I will admit this is the only series so far I have openly blushed when my husband saw me reading a page and caught a glimps of the sex scene writing.......I didn't stop reading but have not had that response for any book thus far.

I will give a small review of each book so far I have read:
<synopsis taken from www.loraleigh.com website>

1) Tempting the Beast - Callan and Merinus - Lion Breed - Merinus Tyler discovers a secret in the Kentucky mountains. Men and women who were created in and escaped from the labs of their creators. Human, with the genetics of the predators of the world. And Callan Lyons, the leader of this small Pride, will change all life in ways she had never imagined possible.

I found this book to be quite entertaining.  I love how the woman is so strong and unafraid of a domineering man.  I was heartbroken to hear all the atrocities these "Breeds" encountered from the genetics council but relieved to hear that more people were outraged by this.  I enjoyed this book.  I think it wasn't necessary to include such details of the sexual encounters as the clear delineation of man from animal was written into the story so well.  


2) The Man Within - Taber and Roni - Panther Breed - Roni Andres had once loved Taber Williams until he broke her heart and left their small Kentucky town amid the shocking news that he and his ‘family’ weren’t exactly human. But he did something to her before he left. The mark he left on her now endangers her life, and the dreams she had of finding love after Taber. And Taber, part man, part animal, now has to face the fact that the woman he couldn’t forget knows exactly what he is.

An even stronger woman.....fantastic! I love how it was love lost and found again.  I also like how they are coming out into public and attacking the attackers.  I like how the men are also affected by this mating frenzy.  I like the fact that all of the characters are introduced in the original family and the world of breeds is expanded slowly through the introduction of new labs and new "packs" and "prides" of all the different breeds created.  Great read, but also heavy on erotica scenes.  Not appropriate for young adults under 18!

3) Elizabeth’s Wolf - Dash and Elizabeth - Wolf Breed - Elizabeth is running for her young daughters life, and losing the race. But when her daughter takes up correspondence with a Special Forces soldier overseas and he learns the danger they’re in, all the fury of a Wolf Breed fighting for his mate is unleashed. And secrets are revealed that could destroy a child’s life.

Fantastic read though sometimes confusing as it wasn't part of the original breed, I did get confused and had to retread a few times as two main characters named Dash and Dane.  As fast a reader as I am it was immensely confusing at times to remember names.

4) Kiss of Heat - Sherra and Kane - Snow Leopard Breed - Sherra has kept the natural mating heat breeds and their mates experience under control for far too many years. Its been ten years since the lover she was torn from in the labs returned. Ten years that’s she’s been forced to confront him nearly on a daily basis. And the heat is growing out of control. The woman’s emotions and fears are tearing through her. Now, she won’t be able to run from her mate much longer as old fears and deceptions begin to fade away beneath the love and aching need she never forgot for one man.

I found this one intriguing as it was like a backwards situation...the breed was female and human was male...making for different complications.  I think this story is where the erotica is a lot less and the storyline started to develop exponentially.....creating not just a series but a whole world for me to experience good and bad.  I really liked the quick whit of Kane.....he was hilarious.

5) Soul Deep - Kiowa and Amanda - Coyote Breed - Kiowa was just supposed to watch the President’s daughter from afar. But when an attempted kidnapping nearly succeeds, he finds himself with much more on his hands than he ever imagined.

This one was a good read as the previous 4 books indicated how horrible the Coyote breeds are...then comes Kiowa who rescues the presidents daughter.....great look at how a prejudice can be broken with one single person or in this case breed.  My empathy is growing for the coyote breeds from this book.

6) The Breed Next Door (in Hot Spell anthology) - Tarek and Lyra - Lion Breed - Undercover breed enforcer, Tarek Jordan is searching for a soldier that tormented breeds in the labs. There’s a bounty on the man’s head, and the Bureau wants him, bad. His next door neighbor is hindering that process. With home baked bread, a tempting little boy and more emotions than he ever dreamed he could feel. But when his mission endangers her, Tarek learns, there’s much more to those emotions than he could have ever imagined.

This book wasn't my favourite in the series and seemed like an attempt to grow the world with a novella type.  The book was an ok read but seemed less put together than the regular novels.  I do think it is necessary to read it as there are small references in later books that would make no sense without reading this one.

7) Megan’s Mark - Braden and Megan - Lion Breed - When breeds start turning up dead in her desert, Deputy Sheriff, Megan Marks is forced to confront breed enforcer Braden Arness as he tries to take over her investigation. And as a desire, a need, that she hadn’t envisioned begins to sear them, she learns that love is just a heartbeat away in the arms of the  most incredible man she’s ever known.

This is the exploration of a woman who had contact with the breeds and incorporated a Native American heritage with small empathic powers into it,  it was a very good read and I quite enjoyed the playful nature of the breed Braden....I enjoyed the bickering and fights they endured.

8 ) Harmony’s Way - Harmony and Lance - Lion Breed - Sheriff Lance Jacobs, Megan Marks cousin finds himself enmeshed in a manipulation and a desire he can’t resist when the director of Breed Affairs assigns his own sister to the sheriff’s office, in an attempt to save her from Breed law. Assassin, Harmony Lancaster has been alone, wild and free for too many years and filled with too much rage. Council members are dying unsanctioned and those deaths are being laid at her feet. But when Breed opponents in Lance’s county begin showing up dead as well, Lance knows Harmony has to be innocent. There’s no other choice, because she’s stolen his soul, and he can’t allow anyone or anything to harm what is his. Complicating this, is the information Harmony holds, that her enemies want. Information that get them both killed.

While I liked the fact that harmony was "death incarnate" I didn't like how she ended up "being suppressed" by her nature. But ended up submitting to Lance.  I am finding it gets boring when all these strong women adventually submit to men....less erotica and lots of bickering.

9) Tanner’s Scheme - Tanner and Scheme - Bengal Breed - After the Feline Breeds’ main base is attacked, Tanner desires revenge. So he kidnaps Scheme Tallant-the daughter of a one-time high-ranking member of the Genetics Council. But when Tanner discovers that Scheme herself is a target of her father’s ruthless mission, his vengeance takes a back seat to saving the life of the woman he hopes to claim as his mate.

This was a funny one as it showed how someone may be in blood relation to a monster doesn't mean they are also a monster.  And underline story of how images can easily be deceived was nice.  I enjoyed the unpredictable aspects of this book, there were surprises left and right.  I enjoyed how you even got a flicker into David <Callan and Merinus' son>.  I liked the constant plot twists in this book.


10) Wolfe’s Hope - Wolfe and Hope - Wolf Breed - Hope believed Wolfe was dead, but he was only waiting for the right time to claim her. The scientist who created him, Hope’s mother, has forced his hand. She wants her creation back, and she wants any children he may breed on her daughter.
He is a man whose DNA was altered, infused with the genetic code of the wolf. His unique genetic makeup has created a male unlike any other and will make itself known in the most surprising ways. Now Hope must convince her mate she hasn’t betrayed him, and they must defeat the plans of a scientist gone mad.

This was a really a different angle for the books.  Wolfe was pack leader in a different lab and this is the beginning of expansion on his pack.  I really enjoyed this book and especially the interactions with Jonas.  I already read this series years ago and know his book is coming but would highly anticipate it if it weren't already in my book list.

11) Jacob’s Faith - Jacob and Faith - Wolf Breed (both of them) - Jacob left Faith six years before, unaware that the mark he left on her also left her in an agony of sexual heat that never dimmed. Now Jacob and Faith are together again, but surprises lurk around every corner and dangers as dark and deadly as their very creation surround them in more ways than one.

I am highly annoyed with this book and have spent a lot of time on this book as I keep getting distracted by life.  While it is a part of the series I am annoyed by the lack of communications with this male breed.  He seems stupid to me and it irritates me how he assumes left and right then waves off her perceived wrongs as if he did nothing wrong.  I am looking forward to finishing this book so i can go on to the next.

So here is my synopsis reviews of the recent books I have read.  I have read upwards of 300 books in the last couple years and have become an avid reader.  I have a huge collection and am currently rereading series I have already read.

I hope you take the time to enjoy a good book,  there is nothing like the escapism one can get from sitting with a good book and cup of hot tea.  Happy readings my friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment